Cue the Violins. . .
Welcome to the 2019-2020 school year. Big changes are coming. In my family, my third and last child will enter the fifth grade. My oldest, who walked into Ms. Eurek’s afternoon kindergarten class when George Bush was President, will be a senior; his sister will start driving, and their brother, the baby, will conclude what has been 13 total years for our family in Bacon’s hallowed halls.
School is starting earlier. Way earlier. This may actually kill me, a seasoned and stubborn night owl who can barely form sentences before 8 a.m. But for my ten year old, and his teenage siblings who will now start school an hour later, this seems right. So we’ll give it a go.
Much like the families we serve, our endeavors here at Bacon are also changing and evolving. Some things are the same; the book fair and fall festival are bigger and better than ever. We’ll continue to sponsor EcoWeek, the ice cream social, field trips, and teacher grants and appreciation events. Our annual Race for Bacon has been moved to February, hosted this time as an indoor glow run so we have the time to properly appreciate our other September events. And—as always—we welcome our Bacon parents, new and old, to join us in making it all happen.
At the day’s end, I am feeling all the things—sad to see these final chapters of high school and elementary school, scared to consider all the ways that I have certainly goofed it up. But mostly I see that I’m blessed. That maybe, in the end, my kids are becoming Decent Human Beings after all. Maybe. And I am blessed to have witnessed and survived it, every part—the triumphs, the tragedies, the thousand small joys and heartbreaks that are all part of being a parent. I have been blessed to serve Bacon.
So let’s do this, shall we?
This month, the Bacon PTO is proud to bring you:
• The Ice Cream Social, Monday, 8/19 from 4-5:30
• Pre-ordered 1st Day School Supply kits will be waiting at the ice cream social!
• Lots of exciting afterschool opportunities—check them out and sign up here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SzlMYRYTb4lvvrqNXPTxdv9kwLYd5U3jCMu-...
• Spirit gear sales will kick off right away—look for order forms at the ice cream social and in Friday folders. Or order online here: http://www.SpiritGearDirect.com/Shop
• Interested in volunteering? Send your name and e-mail to email@example.com. No memberships or commitments required; your name will be added to our signup genius, so you can choose the opportunities that suit you best.
• Looking ahead, we hope you will join us for the Fall Bookfair from September 24-28. A blizzard of books is headed our way. It's Scholastic's Arctic Adventure Book Fair: Snow Much to Read! In addition, our bigger than ever Fall Festival will be on September 26. Please keep an eye out for more information about hours of fun, purchasing wristbands, and donating to the silent auction. If you are a business owner or believe your employer would sponsor one of our events, please contact Louise Rifkin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
President – Andrea Flake email@example.com
Vice president – Nicki Shamis
Secretary – Janelle Mainz
Treasurer – Lorie Barker
Volunteer Coordinator – Liz Fritz